Help make a difference
Volunteers are the heart and soul of Chrysalis Center. They are wonderful ambassadors of our mission and through their dedication and commitment help us transform lives!
Chrysalis Center has in-person volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups. In-person volunteers must be at least 18 years and older. Many Chrysalis Center in-person volunteer opportunities take place during the week between 8:30am and 3:30 pm.
We are excited about our VIRTUAL VOLUNTEER TRACK (see below) for volunteers of all ages. These are great opportunities for young people, students, and those who have difficulties volunteering in-person.
Interested in volunteering?
Complete the form below or email email@example.com for more info/if you have any questions.
Freshplace is our innovative client-choice, fresh food and case management food pantry located on our main campus in Hartford. Freshplace serves up to 100 families living in the poorest neighborhoods in Hartford. Volunteers help clients shop for food, unload donated food, pantry inventory, organize shelves and cleanup. Volunteering currently takes place Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
Chrysalis Center currently has gardens at its main campus in Hartford, and a two-acre food forest at Cosgrove Commons, our supportive housing site in Hartford. These gardens help clients learn how to harvest and grow their own foods, as well as make them available for Freshplace and Homestead Farmers’ Market and La Cocina Catering. Volunteers plant, harvest and upkeep gardens. Volunteer shifts are seasonal.
Hosting a Food Drive, or another type of collective drive for Chrysalis Center clients is a wonderful way to volunteer and give back to help others! We are in need of food & toiletry items. Check out our list of needed items HERE for ideas.
Grab some colleagues or friends and host a monthly bingo, game or crafts night for the residents of one of our supportive housing sites throughout Greater Hartford. Volunteers meet clients, share a pizza and have fun! Volunteer shifts are weekdays – times vary based upon location.
Chrysalis Center’s Recovery & Empowerment Center provides members with wellness and social activities, as well as life-skills classes. Do you have a special talent? A knowledge about computers, budgeting, mindfulness? We are always looking for seasoned volunteers to work with our clients daily. Volunteers meet with clients Monday through Friday mornings.
We are excited to announce NEW REMOTE volunteer opportunities for both youth and adults which will help our clients! Virtual volunteering gives youth under 18 who are not able to volunteer onsite at Chrysalis Center the opportunity to mobilize their passion for helping others and make a difference! It is also great for adults who prefer not to volunteer in person at this time. Below are a few ideas, and we welcome other suggestions:
* Craft kits for Children and Adults – Craft kits are given to families with children and used in our group and wellness classes for adult clients.
Groups are encouraged to make between 20 to 30 kits but you can make as many (or few) as you wish. Crafts kits can be anything. Examples of craft kits:
We ask that all kits contain everything needed to complete the craft. Please pack the finished craft kit in zip lock bags or brown paper lunch bags.
* Collection drives – organize a collection drive with your neighbors, friends or family! We are in need of food & toiletry items. Check out our list of needed items HERE for ideas.
* Kindness Rocks – grab some friends and paint rocks! Get creative! Fun pictures or words of hope! We will then hide them around our supportive housing sites for our clients and families to find. Finding a rock can make such a difference in someone’s day and can be held onto to and taken out when they need a positive affirmation!
* Birthday Boxes – fill a box or large bag with everything needed to help bring a birthday party to a family who can’t afford one. Fill a box (or bag) with items such as: dry cake mix, candles, party hats, etc. You can even host a drive with friends to collect items or funds to purchase them and then assemble together.
* Butterfly Feeders – create butterfly feeders which we can then install in our outdoor gardens and grounds. They will be a beautiful addition – helping to attract butterflies for pollination and give our clients a chance to experience their beauty. Link here for instructions: Try these great ideas!
* Kindness Bags – fill a large zip lock back with toiletries and other essential items for clients who are in need. You can also include a handmade card with words of inspiration. Ideas to fill the bag are: mini toiletry items (toothbrush & toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, mouthwash, comb, soap, etc.), mini Kleenex, small snacks; and optional: socks or gloves
Chrysalis Center’s Volunteer Newsletter
To view monthly newsletters click below: